Top 10 Dangerous Foods For Dogs

We all love our dogs, so when they start looking at us begging to eat what we are, it can be very tempting. Although occasionally feeding your dog some foods might not be that bad, it is important to realize that a lot of the foods we enjoy every day are not so great for the family dog. Here are ten common foods that should never be fed to a dog.

Avocado

All parts of the avocado including vegetative ones such as stems and leaves have a substance called Persin. Large amounts of this can be harmful to your dog.  Avocados are used in a lot of different foods, so it is important to be aware. Small doses can lead to stomach upset and other issues. If you have avocado trees on your property or near it, make sure to keep your dog away.

Alcohol

Any alcohol is bad for your dog. It takes far less alcohol to affect a dog then it does you. Since a dog doesn’t understand the concept of not drinking too quickly and too much, they can ingest a lot of alcohol very fast. Dogs that have consumed alcohol are subject to vomiting, diarrhea, and other gastrointestinal distresses. Dogs with compromised livers from other conditions are even more susceptible to the dangerous effects.

Onions and Garlic

Any form of garlic or onions destroys red blood cells in dogs. Consuming onions and garlic can lead to anemia. Make sure to avoid the temptation of feeding table scraps to dogs to avoid the onion issue all together. Symptoms of anemia are a loss of strength, vomiting, being out of breath, and lack of energy.

Caffeinated Beverages and Foods

Caffeine is lurking in many different beverages and foods. Chocolate, energy drinks, coffee, tea, etc. are all off limits to dogs. Symptoms that often occur in dogs that have consumed caffeine include heart palpitations and muscle tremors. Vomiting and stomach issues can also occur. Caffeine poisoning has no cure, so if enough is consumed, it can be fatal.

Grapes

Grapes and raisins are known to cause kidney failure in canines. The reasons for this reaction are not clear to veterinarians. If you grow grapes, then keeping them on a higher trellis or fencing your dog out from grapes will prevent them from indulging when you are not looking. If you have kids that eat grapes and raisins often for lunches and snacks, it is important to make them aware that they can harm the family dog if he or she eats them.

Milk Products

Dogs don’t digest a bunch of dairies like we do. Although your buddy might beg you for ice cream or other frozen treats, it is important not to fall for their cuteness. Milk based products can cause your dog to have diarrhea and other stomach and digestive issues. For some reason, milk can also contribute to allergies in dogs with scratching and itchiness being the main symptom.

Macadamia Nuts

While dogs may seem to tolerate some nuts well, Macadamia nuts are a big exception to the rule. Less than ten of these nuts can be fatal to a dog. Dogs that have been poisoned by these nuts experience symptoms such as tremors and weakness in the legs, fever, vomiting, and a high heart rate. Next time you are having a cookie, think twice before sharing with your friend.

Gum And Candy

Artificial sweeteners can be deadly to a dog. Smaller dogs are more susceptible to the small amounts found in just a few pieces of gum. It is very important to make sure that your dog cannot access. One of the main artificial sweeteners culprits is xylitol. Dogs that consume this substance are subject to drastically dropping blood sugar levels that can lead to serious and fatal conditions such as liver failure and seizures.

Bones

Despite all the cute dog bone décor and items for sale, bones can be very problematic for dogs. Splintered bones can become lodged in the mouth or throat. Bleeding and damaged gums and tongues are common when a bone splinters. Pieces of bone are a major choking hazard, especially in smaller dogs.

Chocolate

All Chocolate contains some level of Theobromine, which causes big problems for your canine companion. Darker chocolate has higher levels. Symptoms that occur when a dog consumes chocolate can range from diarrhea and vomiting to even more serious complications such as heart tremors and shaking. If your dog has consumed chocolate, it is best to take them to the veterinarian as soon as you notice.

  • March 14, 2016
Click Here to Leave a Comment Below 0 comments

Leave a Reply: