Pets Best Insurance Review
- Full range of plans available, including $0 deductible plans.
- Up to 100% reimbursement of covered accidents and illnesses.
- Free direct deposit reimbursement.
- Full hereditary and congenital coverage.
- Wellness care option available.
About Pets Best Pet Insurance
Pets Best Pet Insurance is one of the oldest pet insurance companies in North America. It was co-founded by Dr. Jack Stephens, the veterinarian who established the pet insurance industry and launched the first pet insurance company in 1981. After having to euthanize a dog because its owners decided they couldn’t afford the animal’s treatment, Dr. Stephens decided there had to be a better way. Pets Best is that better way, and is committed to ending economic euthanasia by helping pet owners be financially prepared when the unexpected happens.
The company provides pet health insurance to North American pet owners. Its insurance plans offer a wide range of coverage options, including $0 deductible plans and discounts for multi-pet households. It was founded in 2005, and was the first pet insurance company to offer a complete electronic filing and payment process.
The Pets Best Insurance company has an A+ Better Business Bureau rating. It is recommended by thousands of veterinarians and pet owners, and is underwritten by the Independence American Insurance Company (IAIC), a Delaware insurance company. The IAIC is a member of The IHC Group, an organization of insurance carriers and marketing and administrative affiliates that has been providing life, health, disability, medical stop-loss and specialty insurance solutions to groups and individuals for over 30 years.
Pets Best employees are all pet owners and lovers, many of whom come from the veterinary industry and do animal rescue work. It should be no surprise that it’s one of the industry leaders in recognizing the hard work done by veterinarians and veterinary technicians.
In 2010, Pets Best launched the “My Vet’s the Best” contest, the first national contest designed to recognize excellence in veterinary medicine. Pet owners around the nation nominate their favorite veterinarians, and public voting is conducted through the Pets Best Facebook page. Once finalists have been voted upon, an internal review panel comprised of respected veterinarians selects the grand prize winner.
In 2012, the company instituted the Why I love Being a Vet Tech contest in partnership with the National Association of Veterinary Technicians in America (NATVA). As a show of support for the hard work and dedication demonstrated by certified veterinary technicians, it recognizes one top veterinary tech each year from nominations around the country. You can read interviews with the 2015 finalists at the Pets Best website.
Pets Best is also one of the leading sponsors of Dogs on Deployment, a nationwide nonprofit that connects military service members with volunteers to board their pets for free while they are deployed. Pets Best matches donations made to Dogs on Deployment during the nonprofit’s annual Memorial Day fundraising event.
Pets Best Insurance has won the Best Places to Work in Idaho award for the past two years.
The coverage provided by Pets Best Insurance policies depends on the options selected by the pet owner. Most Pets Best Insurance policies include coverage for:
- Injuries, including broken bones, poisoning, car accident, lacerations, foreign object ingestion.
- Illnesses, including cancer, diabetes, arthritis, allergies, cruciate ligament injuries, skin and ear infections, urinary tract infections, and epilepsy.
- Hereditary and congenital conditions, including hip and elbow dysplasia, luxating patella, cherry eye, IVDD, Wobbler Syndrome, glaucoma and epilepsy.
- Behavioral consultations and medications prescribed by a licensed veterinarian.
- Prescription medications.
- Cancer treatments such as blood work, MRIs, surgery, medication, and chemotherapy.
- Acupuncture and chiropractic.
- Physical rehabilitation, such as physical therapy, hydrotherapy, and cold laser.
- Prosthetic devices and wheelchairs.
Pets Best Insurance fully covers pets even if they aren’t spayed or neutered, something other pet insurers do not necessarily guarantee.
Most Pets Best Insurance plans also cover exam fees, the cost of ongoing / chronic conditions, hunting or service accidents, euthanasia and cremation, and coverage while traveling with your pet. Plus, its BestWellness™ routine coverage plans pay for a pet’s regular veterinarian visits, including routine checkups, dental cleanings, and blood work.
Pets Best Insurance offers accident-only plans as well, an ideal option for owners on a limited budget who want excellent coverage for accidents such as broken legs, snake bites, and accidental swallowing.
Maximum annual benefit options are based on the coverage selected by the owner. Owners can opt for:
- Annual benefits of $1,000, $5,000, $10,000, or $20,000.
- Per pet lifetime maximum benefits of $5,000, $100,000, $150,000, or $200,000.
Wellness benefit annual payouts include:
- Maximum benefits of $505 for dogs and $565 for cats.
- Wellness exam coverage of $50 for dogs and cats.
- Spay and neuter coverage of $100 for dogs and cats.
- Teeth cleaning coverage of $100 for dogs and cats.
- Vaccine coverage (cost varies based on selected coverage).
Pets Best Insurance coverage provides a range of deductibles and maximum benefits based on the policy chosen:
- Coinsurance amount options from 70% to 100%.
- Annual deductible options from $0 to $1,000.
- Maximum annual benefit options include $1,000, $5,000, $10,000, and $20,000.
- Lifetime hereditary conditions benefit options from $250 to $1,000.
- Annual holistic and alternative care benefit options from $0 to $1,000.
- Per pet lifetime maximum benefit options from $5,000 to $200,000.
Dogs and cats over the age of 8 weeks can be covered. Cost of plans is in part determined by both the pet’s age and breed. At no time are existing benefits reduced because of a pet’s age.
Pet owners can take their pets to any licensed veterinarian in North America.
Should I Use Pets Best Pet Insurance?
Founded by the same veterinarian who co-founded the North American Pet Health Insurance Association (NAPHIA), Pets Best is an award-winning pet insurance company that gets high marks from both veterinarians and owners alike. Pet owners seeking great value for their money need look no further than Pets Best for the coverage that gives them peace of mind.
- Contact Info
2323 S. Vista Ave. Ste. 100
Boise, ID 83705
Phone Number: 1-877-738-7237